Rotation Schedule

Click to View PDF of Schedule

The following is a brief overview of the residency program by training year:

PGY1 :  Interns will complete their experiences in internal medicine (one month), family medicine (2 months), neurology (2 months) and emergency room at Cabell Huntington Hospital, a regional, multi-specialty hospital affiliated with Marshall School of Medicine,  for a total of 6 months in general medical and neurology training. A month rotation of pediatrics instead of family medicine, for those interested in child psychiatry, is also available.  The remaining 6 months are spent in inpatient psychiatry, 2 months each at 3 different hospitals, for very different and educational experiences, yet all located in downtown Huntington. Two months are spent at Mildred Mitchell-Bateman Hospital, the regions state hospital, on the general psychiatry unit. There, residents will learn to evaluate, treat and appreciate individuals with severe and chronic mental health disorders. Two months are spent at St. Mary’s general psychiatry inpatient unit, a 30 bed unit located in the of the state’s largest regional private hospitals, and also offers ECT. Two months are also spent at River Park Hospital, an amazing 140 bed private free standing psychiatric hospital, working on the general adult unit. 
Didactics take place at the “home base”, at Marshall Psychiatry outpatient clinic. There, residents will see residents from all years of training, have access to clinical, educational and research space and facilities, as well as their lounge area.

PGY2: PGY2 residents spend 3 months on the consult-liaison service, covering both the inpatient units at the Cabell Huntington Hospital (CHH) and the emergency room. The patient mix and psychiatric diagnoses seen are diverse and offer a comprehensive training experience for the resident. PGY2 residents will have one half day continuity outpatient clinic, where they will be able to follow patients who they have worked with on inpatient or consult rotations, as well as assigned outpatients. PGY2 residents also spend a month doing Addictions training, at the Huntington VAMC, and will receive training and didactics from a Board Certified Addictions Psychiatrist and the comprehensive substance abuse team at the VA. PGY 2 residents will also rotate on inpatient services at River Park hospital for 2 months on the Geriatric Psychiatry service with a board certified geriatric psychiatrist, 2 months on the Child and Adolescent services at River Park with board certified child psychiatrists, and one month each of inpatient adult psychiatry at Mildred Mitchell-Bateman and St. Mary’s Medical Center. Residents may have ECT training  for 2 months at St. Mary’s as a 20% time rotation, with the remaining 80% time as electives. Didactics will be at the “home base” Marshall Departmental Offices, except for the month on Addictions, where they will occur at the VAMC.

PGY3: PGY3 residents receive education and training in outpatient psychiatry, with 80% time spent at the Marshall Psychiatry Outpatient Clinic. In their newly renovated offices, residents will see general psychiatry patients under the supervision and expertise of the faculty. Patients ranging from young children to senior citizens are served in this clinic, with subspecialty clinics to enhance the clinical and educational experience. Residents will treat patients individually, but also in group, couples and family therapy. Twenty percent (20%) time is spent at the Huntington VAMC, with 10% time at the PTSD clinic, with a focus on combat related disorders, and 10% time on telepsychiatry. Didactic experience during this year is substantive, and occurs at the both the Marshall outpatient clinic site and the VAMC.

PGY4: Throughout the PGY4 year, residents continue to treat a selected group of their outpatients from the PGY3, to provide experience and training in continuity of care, which is 20% time (1 day per week). PGY4 residents have a 3 month rotation consisting of 50% time consult-liaison service at CHH, both supervising the PGY2 resident on the consult service, as well as providing patient care. During this 2 month block, they also have their forensic rotation with a board certified forensic psychiatrist. Other rotations include Integrated Psychiatry, Nursing Home Psychiatry, and other electives round out the PGY4 experience.