Susan Flesher, M.D.Program Director, Department of PediatricsJoan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshall University1600 Medical Center Drive, Suite 3500Huntington, WV 25701Phone: 304.691.1374Fax: 304.691.1375Email: email@example.com
Debra L. ChapmanPediatric Academic & Training AdministratorJoan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshall University1600 Medical Center Drive, Suite 3500Huntington, WV 25701Phone: 304.691.1374Fax: 304.691.1375Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
View Sample Schedule
Salary & Benefits
||3 weeks paid vacation
- Malpractice: Provided by the State of West Virginia's "Comprehensive Liability Insurance Policy"
- Group Term Life : One and one-quarter percent ( 1 1/4 % )of annualized stipend with a minimum of $50,000 plus a $10,000 basic life insurance policy for a total of at least $60,000. Additional life insurance can also be purchased for the resident/fellow and their dependents.
- Health: Variety of plans/costs ranging from $85/month to $520/month depending upon coverage and tobacco use status
- Flexible Benefits: Dental/Vision. All are pre-tax dollars.
- Social Security: Employee and Employer pay social security taxes. International medical graduates who provide a copy of his/her J-1 Visa to administration will be exempt from social security taxes
- Workers' Compensation: Coverage is provided.
- Long Term Disability Insurance: Provided to resident at no charge.
||Residents accrue 15 days of sick leave annually.
||On - call meals are provided by the hospital
||PGY I: $500.00 annually
PGY II - PGY V: $1,000 annually
PGY I: $52,000
PGY II: $53,000
PGY III: $54,000
PGY IV: $55,000
PGY V: $56,000
Plus a $2,000 Signing Bonus for Categorical Positions NRMP Matched
- Retirement: Residents can contribute to retirement plan however it is not matched by the company.
- Marshall Rec Center membership with optional discounted rate for spouse.
- Discounted laundry rate at White Way Cleaners ($8 per white lab coat).
The Resident Selection Committee evaluates each applicant’s personal statement, Medical Student Performance Evaluation, letters of recommendation, and USMLE scores or COMLEX scores. USMLE scores must be 220 or above on the first attempt. For osteopathic applicants, COMLEX scores must be 500 or above on the first attempt. This evaluation, along with the committee’s interpretation of the applicant’s desire to become a pediatrician, determines which applicants are invited for interviews.
International graduate applicants must be presently authorized to work in the United States for any employer on a full-time basis or be eligible to participate in the J-1 exchange visitor program sponsored by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Previous clinical experience in the United States is not a requirement; however applicant’s graduation from medical school should be five years or less at time of application. International graduates need to have successfully completed USMLE Steps 1, 2CS, and 2CK at the time of application.
Applications for PL-1 positions are accepted from September 15th to December 15th of the year prior to appointment using the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Applications will not be accepted after the December 15th deadline. Interviews are granted only after completion of the qualified candidate's application. Interviews are scheduled October 16 through January 15th.
Completed applications are accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service and are to include:
- The completed application including personal statement and the candidate's reason for pursuing pediatric training.
- Applicant's Medical Student Performance Evaluation
- Applicant's Medical School Transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
- USMLE or COMLEX Transcript
International graduates should also furnish:
- Copy of USMLE Transcript
- Copy of Medical School Diploma
- Statement of Visa status (where applicable)
- ECFMG Status Report
Please visit the following websites for more information on our community:
Cabell-Huntington Convention & Visitors Bureau
Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce
Marshall University Community Information