HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – Five new academic endowments that will assist medical students with educational costs have been announced at the Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine.
The five gifts are all courtesy of clinical departments in the School of Medicine. The following is a listing of the newly created endowments.
- The Marshall Family Medicine Scholarship is an endowed scholarship created by the Department of Family Medicine, under the leadership of chair Dr. John B. Walden. The scholarship will assist a future physician who exhibits financial need and aspires to a career in family medicine. The recipient of the award will be a fourth-year medical student.
- The Mahmood Heydarian, M.D. Scholarship is an endowed fund that was created by the Department of Pediatrics, under the leadership of chair Dr. Joseph E. Evans, School of Medicine Class of 1982. The scholarship is named in honor of Dr. Mahmood Heydarian, who served the department as a pediatric cardiologist and professor of pediatrics for more than 30 years, and will retire in June 2013. The recipient will be a first-year medical student.
- The Marshall Obstetrics and Gynecology Fourth-Year Medical Student Scholarship is an expendable scholarship created by the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology’s faculty and staff, under the leadership of Dr. David C. Jude, School of Medicine Class of 1988. The recipient of the $7500 award will be a fourth-year medical student who has achieved the highest score on the National Board of Medical Examiners obstetrics and gynecology subject examination and exhibits financial need. Should the individual with the highest score not have a financial need, the scholarship will go to the student with the second-highest score who has financial need. An expendable scholarship is one that does not accrue interest and can only be awarded based upon the available balance.
- The Marshall Surgery Scholarship is from an endowed fund created by the Department of Surgery faculty and staff, under the leadership of chair Dr. David A. Denning. The recipient of this one-time award will be a third- or fourth-year student and have financial need. Applications for this particular scholarship are available by contacting the assistant director of financial aid for the Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine.
- The Ernest M. Walker, M.D., Memorial Scholarship is an endowed fund established in memory of Dr. Ernest M. “Ernie” Walker Jr., former professor and chair of the Department of Pathology. The recipient(s) of this one-time award will be third- or fourth- year students pursuing pathology residency training and exhibiting financial need as determined by the Office of Student Financial Assistance. The recipient must also be in good academic standing.
For more information on the scholarships or to make a gift to the Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine, please contact Linda Holmes at 304-691-1711 or email@example.com.
Date Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013