Applications are accepted through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). This service is available through your medical school or the ECFMG if you are a foreign medical graduate. Foreign medical graduates must have a valid and current ECGMG certificate. We only accept J1 Visas – no H1-B visas are accepted. The Surgery Residency Program interviews for four PGY 1 Categorical and three PGY 1 non designated positions each year.
- USMLE Step I and II with a minimum score of 220 or above on first attempt only.
- If IMG – at least 6 months of current US clinical experience is required. (Clinical experience is official clinical rotations working with attending physicians and exposure to patient care.)
- Graduation from medical school within the last two years, or currently in ACGME approved residency.
- ECFMG certification at time of hiring for FMG's (if offered contract)
- Only J1 Visa accepted, Marshall School of Medicine will NOT sponsor H1 visa.
- Application submission deadline – October 31.
- Items necessary for application: NO EXCEPTIONS
- USMLE Scores for Step I and II and CS
- ERAS application with photo
- Medical School transcript
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation; at least two letters must be from a surgery chairman/program director/faculty at a teaching institution.
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Updated CV
- Positions available each year: All applicants for either program must apply through ERAS
- Three Preliminary PGY 1
- Four Categorical PGY 1
- If offered a contract, candidate must complete and pass a mandatory drug screening and background check.
PLEASE DO NOT FAX OR EMAIL APPLICATIONS, OR CV'S TO OUR DEPARTMENT. WE WILL NOT REVIEW ANY INFORMATION SENT BY FAX OR EMAIL. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED THROUGH ERAS.